Thank You For VIsiting Me...!!!

With outstretched arms, I welcome you to the world of yet unsaid emotions...

Wish you a good time.! And thank you for visiting me...!!!

Monday 19 March 2018

#InternationalWomensDaySwag (Chapter 3)...!!!


#BreakTheStereotype
#WomenWhoDream



We all have that 2 am friend. That friend who is the perfect definition of 'Friend, Philosopher, Guide'. That friend with whom 'sharing, caring and baring' is effortless. That friend, with whom, though we may lose contact over the years, but whenever we meet, we start off immediately from where we last left. No hassles, no strings.

To have such a friend is true bliss. To share all the confusions and aberrations of life with this friend is ecstasy, almost of that very psychoactive drug quality.

This friend of mine is my Pineapple Musk - Dr. Kriti Valecha.

I have known her from school, and we have somehow managed to stay unchanged to our bones, at least with each other. If for anything else, our madness has only grown, our ambitions have only soared and our interests have only matched to the exact hues.

So when she told me that after finally completing her MD from the super prestigious AFMC (Armed Force Medical College) in Pathology, a journey that even witnessed her marriage during the course, and finally "settling down" (job, family and all, eh!) she was finally all set to quit one of the 2 labs that she was consulting, and 'use' that extra time doing something she really loved, because "after all, money does not matter, I have to do something that makes my heart sing", I wasn't surprised. At all. All I felt was a deep sense of satisfaction that at least one more person I knew was finally able to figure out their calling, and a deep sense of desire that one day, some day, I would too, soon.

She juggles a day job and her passion project, the Agra Drawing Room (ADR), that has come up in due association with Bombay Drawing Room; a project where she is trying to create 'handmade happiness' by speaking the language of art. Agra Drawing Room conducts art workshops for all ages, few days in a week and aims at helping people discover their inner artists.

She was an obvious choice for this project #BreakTheStereotype and #WomenWhoDream.  When I asked her for this interview, she was a bit hesitant for obvious reasons: ADR had just taken off and she didn't think she was eligible for this 'shot at fame' (Oh Yeah!)
But I knew I had what it takes to make her relent. :)


Here are some of  her pics in action:














*****
Excerpts from her interview:

1. Tell us about Yourself

I am Kriti, doctor by profession and artist and explorer at heart. I truly believe in the concept of live and let live.


2. What are your hobbies.

I love being surrounded by music. I sing, too. I love indulging in artsy stuff esp calligraphy. I am very fond of watching animation and thriller movies. I love doing so many things :)


3. How did you develop an interest in art?

At a very early age, I saw my Bua (Paternal Aunt) making beautiful paintings. That's where it all began. I learned the basics of water color and calligraphy from her.

4. Any classes/workshops you attended lately.

The last one I attended was in December. It was a knife painting workshop at Bombay Drawing Room.


5. So how was it at the Bombay Drawing Room. Tell us about your first experience as a student there.

It was such an amazing experience. Snehal, the founder, provided step by step guidance to all the participants at the workshop. At the end of 2 hours, I was so happy to hold my first knife painting. Creating something by yourself gives you a different kind of high altogether. For some it might be composing a poem, for others it might be writing a book, for me it was this work of art.


6. How was Agra Drawing Room conceived.

After attending one more of their workshops, I decided that this experience was something I would really like other people to have.
Agra hosts a lot of tourists each day and I wanted them to appreciate our rich culture. Passively they have done so for years. I thought of making them actively involved in it by teaching the basics of Indian folk arts in 2 hour sessions. And though tourists from around the world have always enjoyed the Agra phenomenon, there was no such art-immersion experience readily available for locals. So I thought of tapping into this opportunity and introducing the art lovers of Agra to the concept of painting parties. Agra will experience its first painting party very soon :)



7. You have a full-time job, how do you plan to devote your time for Agra Drawing Room.

I work from 10.30 to 4.30. Because its still in the maturing phase, I devote 2-3 hours daily to Agra Drawing Room. Once the basic approaches are taken care of, it won't need more than one hour on a daily basis.


8. Tell us about the physical/emotional challenges of conducting the workshops


Pursuing what you love needs so much more than the just talent. 

Physically, it gets very taxing when I have to run around for collaborations and marketing after my work at the lab is done for the day.
Since this is not a metro, the usual concept of weekend painting parties won't work here. So,with the constant help of Snehal, I am still trying to explore how to awaken people of Agra to paint and revisit their artistic side.



9. Did you get the support you needed from your family, foraying into this yet uncharted territory? How did you hold yourself up. What/Who was your biggest support.

My husband is my biggest support. He knows that art and colors make me very happy. Mom, my brother and a few friends have been very supportive as well.

Whenever faced with doubts, I turn to Snehal for guidance. She has been a great mentor to me.


10. What inspires you in difficult times. 

When faced with hardships, I remind myself that adversities are temporary, as is everything else.


11. How do you rewind after a long, busy day.

Spending time with my husband, listening to music or reading a good book recharges me :)


12. A message for our readers.

Never let the child inside you die and make yourself a priority. It's only when you are happy that you can keep people around you happy !!

*****

Her answer to the last question is a fitting closing ceremony for this first experimental venture of mine. As we celebrate the International Women's Day/Week/Month, other than the usual sentiments of #LeaningIn, #PressingForProgress and the likes, let us not forget that we women are, and should always be, our biggest commitments. Nothing can be poured out of an empty cup. Only when I am full (of love, life, energy and everything else) can I give to others (love, life, energy and everything else :D). 

Let us pledge to have the courage to #BreakTheStereotype and become the #WomenWhoDream. There will always be the pressure of expectations, the burden of responsibility and the freedom of speech. I wish for you all, that may each one of you my dear readers, find your true calling and live a life living your dream, each day.

Here's to not falling, but rising in love - true, mad, deep love - with ourselves, for a change.



                                       ~ Happy International Women's Day 2018 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment