Thank You For VIsiting Me...!!!

With outstretched arms, I welcome you to the world of yet unsaid emotions...

Wish you a good time.! And thank you for visiting me...!!!

Thursday 8 March 2018

#InternationalWomensDaySwag (Chapter 2)...!!!


#BreakTheStereotype
#WomenWhoDream


And here we are, with the next installment of Inspiration Loan, the next #WomanWhoDreams to #BreakTheStereotype, the next flavor of my exclusive three-course menu - Silver Vanilla - DIPIKA PANDEY.

Dipika evolved to become a girl of fewer, non-mincing words and more grit and valor. From being the incessant prankster in college, a year junior to me, she has finally come out of the cocoon and become the beautiful butterfly she always was. 

I had to pursue her a little for supplying me with her answers, because 'Madam did not have dates' (:D) but we go a long way back and I knew she would do it, in the exact manner how she has chased her dream of being a dancer-performer, after earning her Engineering Degree and getting placed with top MNCs.

This interview shall always remain too close to my heart, too precious, too delicate. Artistes are fragile people, they need to be handled with a lot of care and love; and you know it only when you belong to this community, when you are one with them. But even if you are a reader with not much artistic inclination, you'll still love what lies ahead and get transported for a bit - into that world where you always wished you could be; for who amongst us does not like the limelight, who doesn't crave for attention, who doesn't love glamour, who doesn't want to become famous on the silver screen, who doesn't think about having a loyal, jabra fan-following.

Character-sketches are beautiful if the right ink is used, but nothing beats the pleasure that the eyes seek. So ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, here is what Dipika looks like - in red-hot action - (and she says she'll be in Hyderabad soon...)


Warning: Too much hotness ahead, adult supervision advised. ;)


















Excerpts from her interview:

1. Please tell us about Yourself.

- :D I'm very bad at this. Alright so I'm a dancer and an actor. I have been training in Latin dance forms for around five years now. As an actor I'm doing a few plays and some screen work. 


2. Something about your educational background.

- :) I'm an engineer. Have studied in many schools across the country.


3. You mentioned you have a professional degree in Engineering. How did this switch in career happen.

- It is when you keep doing something as a child without realizing that you are meant for it. That's what happened with me and dance. It took me time to sink it in that I can't do anything but this. It wasn't really a switch, because I was always sure I want to train myself in dance. It just went to a level where nothing else mattered. (I loved this last line!)



4. When did you realize that Dance and Theater was your calling.

- In college. It was for dance. And when I started working on it here in Mumbai, I figured that any kind of performance attracted me. That's when acting happened.


5. Did you take any classes/workshops to learn this art. Who are your mentors.

- Yes. I can't survive without constant training. It helps me to grow. I have been training in Salsa with a lot of national and international instructors. I perform with my mentors here in Mumbai and in different salsa festivals too. I also wish to travel abroad to take it to another level. 

In acting I'm still training with Mr. Saurabh Sachdeva who has been teaching in Barry John studio for around 17 years. I travel for workshops as well
.



5. When did you decide to get into the performing arts full-throttle.

- when I moved to Mumbai


6. How has the journey been so far. Please tell our readers how does this industry actually work.

- The journey has been good. A learning experience. Still struggling and I suppose artists struggle more due to the uncertainty of the industry. You never know what clicks. And the fact that India is yet to learn how to respect artists the same way as they respect white collar jobs, this makes it more difficult.



7. What goes into the preparation of your next show. Tell us about the physical/emotional challenges.

- I'm playing a character where the girl is being manipulated by her husband to fall in love with his best friend for the sake of art. Because the husband is making a play called 'betrayal' . So in order to understand the gravity, he wants to experience it. This is something we don't go through in our lives. So it's difficult to get the layers in the character and also playing a character within a character. The emotional process drains me more . As for my physical preparation, dance helps me a lot. And I also practice kalaripayattu, which is a martial art form and is very good for performers.


9. Did you get the support you needed from your family, foraying into this seemingly uncharted territory? How did you hold yourself up. What/Who was your biggest support.

- Family support takes a while. It is difficult for them to trust something this uncertain. When they see results, they do. But I'm blessed with very good friends. They have been with me through everything. Be it health issues or financial.

10. What inspires you when the going gets tough.

- I think I get self motivated mostly because everything has been at stake. So then I have to move ahead. And my teachers have inspired me a lot. Their faith in an under confident person like me makes me keep pushing.

11. How do you rewind after a long, busy day.

- Reading and music. And mostly I'm too tired and just crash  :)


12. What is your ultimate aim in life. And, a philosophy you live by.

- Aim is to keep performing. Performance is the ultimate high. Rest everything will fall in place.

13. Outside of work, any other commitments. 

- nothing yet


14. Will the audience get to see you perform live in Hyderabad anytime soon.

- yes I do travel to Hyderabad for shows. I should be there in the next few months for a play.

15. A message for our readers.

- Encourage art.


I would love to know how you felt dear readers after reading this interview, I want to know that after celebrating a whole day dedicated to Women, giving them flowers, chocolates, assorted gifts and all due attention, what do you actually, really think about this fine specimen of a girl and about what she has set out to make of her life. I have been with Dipika pretty closely for a good amount of time, and from where I stand, I see a baby sister who gradually got pretty mature as life happened. So I will always have a big mushy soft corner for her.

While reading her interview, if i try to exercise a short term memory challenge and erase her name, I would be almost certain that this is some Bollywood Biggie talking. And I am entitled to my biases. (This is my blog, after all :D)

My heart reaches out to you Dipika, and I bow in respect, for all the effort you put in, for all the hardships you endure and for all of yourself that you put in your performances.

Rise and shine baby, shine brighter than the Sun...!!!



~ Happy International Women's Day 2018 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment