Thank You For VIsiting Me...!!!

With outstretched arms, I welcome you to the world of yet unsaid emotions...

Wish you a good time.! And thank you for visiting me...!!!

Wednesday 7 March 2018

#InternationalWomensDaySwag (Chapter 1)...!!!


#BreakTheStereotype
#WomenWhoDream



January brings a lot of hope, energy and zest; February fills the air with a thousand shades of love. But March manages to pull everyone out of the creamy-dreamy zone and push them into action - live, solid, worthy action. March brings a gentle reminder that here we are already two months into the year and there still are resolutions to be worked on, promises to be fulfilled and miles to be walked. March is hurried, full of excitement and jumping-with-joy-bubbly. March very much feels like the embodiment of that multitasking woman, persistently juggling personal and professional aspirations and still shining like a star to the best of her ability. Probably that is why, International Women's Day is celebrated in March.

As we stand on the brink of another International Women's Day, I feel myriad flavors dancing on my tongue and spilling from my fingers: Bittersweet candyfloss, Pineapple Musk, Silver Vanilla. These are the flavors of women who are an integral part of my life; these are the flavors of every woman I have yet met; these are the flavors of me.

Beating the norm, doing what you dream and performing multiple roles deftly - all these sound too commonplace when we talk about it. But when it actually gets to getting our hands dirty, it is a different story all together. The fizzling out happens way more easily than imagined. So, when you cross path with someone who has really done it, you bow, in respect.

That is exactly what I decided to do.

This Women's Day, I present before you readers, three exceptionally talented and versatile women who are giving it all they have, to be what they really are, in the best possible way they can.

I am a fan of 'practicing what you preach'. I love those who just roll-up their sleeves and go knee deep in the slush pool to get things going. I am deeply inspired by those who stretch their limits beyond their potential, only to start stretching their limits from this new place the next time onwards and yet maintain their humility.

As my tribute to this indefatigable spirit, here I have a brand new series of (excerpts from the) interviews of three such Wonder Women, which shall go on for the next three days.

So dear readers, join me in this journey of #BreakingtheStereotype with #WomenWhoDream - with three ladies who have nerves of steel and velvet gloves on their strong hands, those hands that flash the solitaires they earned with as much ease as the bruises they acquired while going under the hood and fixing their cars - with real spanners.


The first in the series is my favorite - Bittersweet Candyfloss - MANSI MEHRA.
(Drum rolls, standing ovation, rising curtains)

Mansi is a senior from my college and an ever-since sweetheart. Bold, beautiful, bright and beatific, she has a sunshine smile that can light up a thousand lamps. Take a look for yourself:











I was too naive to think just that she was a techie who was making it big in stand-up comedy, in the US. (There you go... Whaaa...!!! Thank you, I know I have excellent choices!)

Thanks to this endeavor, I now know that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

And I am so glad I approached her first with this concept of mine. People who live in glass houses know how not to throw stones at other's homes. Go through her interview below and you too will agree, only more if not less.



1. Please tell us about yourself.

I'm a technologist by profession and a creative artist by passion. I have been working as an engineer in a multinational company (my day job) as well as been performing stand-up comedy across Southern California since past 3 years (shall I call it my night job?). I have been a short filmmaker, Also, I have been a radio jockey at Mera Sangeet Los Angeles radio station, made my first short film “Shoot her” which was selected in several film festivals in US. I have also been a philanthropist working with a couple of non-profit organizations including Soroptimist International Los Angeles (SILA). More details on www.mansimehra.com

2. Something about your educational background.

I have Bachelors of Engineering in Electronics & Communications from Mody Institute of Technology and Science (MITS), Lakshmangarh and Masters in Computer Science from University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles. 


3. You mentioned you have a professional degree in Engineering. How did this switch in career happen?

Can I call it destiny? Kidding. It's a combination of a lot of things: Love, heart breaks, friends and then Groupon. Yes, you read it right.

Well, I was dating a comic when I got introduced to this comedy world. He became the past and comedy became the future. Also, I was surrounded by a lot of actors, producers, directors and comics when I volunteered for film festivals in Los Angeles. Then I happen to stumble upon comedy classes on Groupon. I was never serious about the classes until the day of the class arrived. Darn it!

I got really addicted to performing comedy when I made strangers laugh. Trust me that feeling makes you do it more. Then it all began.


4. When did you realize that Stand-up Comedy was your calling?

I have always loved to push the envelope, try new things and take risks. When I started performing as a stand-up comic, I realized that it was making a lot of difference in various areas of my life, including the corporate day-time job I have. While performing I met people from all diversities, backgrounds, cultures and it let me perform at events where celebrities like Arjun Rampal was invited too. It taught me public speaking, networking tips, marketing, how to tackle awkward situations and overall get a different outlook towards the world. It makes your right brain question your left brain.

5. Did you take any classes/workshops to learn this art?

Yes, I did. A lot of us think that most of the stand-up comics just wing it on the stage. Not true!

It’s all staged and rehearsed several times before they utter a single word. So only classes could help me understand the tricks and tips. I joined Jeff Hodge’s Comedy classes and later got admitted to Gerry Katzman’s stand-up comedy classes. More importantly I happen to meet lots of wonderful producers like Mika Mitchell, Adam Barnhardt, Jeff Husband, Melanie Vesey, Jeff Hodge who gave me a platform to perform and showcase. I also read books like The Comedy Bible by Judy Carter and Comedy Writing Secrets by Mel Helitzer. Magic of three, music of comedy, timing, knowing your audience are a few tricks that one must know in comedy.



6. When did you decide to move to the US. How was that idea conceived?

I was working for Accenture in Mumbai as a Software Engineer when I thought I could do more in life. New job or new country? May be the latter one. So I decided to pursue my Masters. The decision was mine so was the money to be invested. My family helped me with student loan and then I came to California.

7. How has the journey been so far. Please tell our readers how does this industry actually work.

The journey has been a roller coaster. It’s a sinusoidal wave, if I may say. Some shows are so good that you can’t sleep out of excitement and in some shows you hear crickets which makes you wonder if alcohol wasn’t enough. So you have to JUST DO IT. Whatever the result is: success or failure, it doesn’t matter.

For Comedy, I would highly recommend to learn formally because it is not at all fluke, it has a formula. Practice, A LOT. Sign up at open mics. Networking is a key so if you hate meeting people, I’m sorry but use that hatred to build jokes. Learn how to market because you want your friends to come and see your show (Unless you want to just be a dinner table comic!). You will need to be vulnerable to joke about you and your life, for which people may judge you, but who cares? You know what, a lot of the jokes are lies! But they make you laugh.



8. What goes into the preparation of your next show? Tell us about the physical/emotional challenges.
Know the background of your audience. You cannot crack the same joke at church vs at a late night comedy show vs at a corporate show. Alter your jokes according to the show situation. Pay attention and observe during the show, as you may generate a joke based on what you learnt new about an audience member (First row people mostly get picked by comics).

One of my teacher taught me that do not look hot when you perform. Because their eyes will function more than their ears! Just look good enough that you gel with the crowd. They will be able to relate to you and your jokes. Emotionally is can be very draining. There is a lot of soul searching that goes in building truths, facts and then jokes. This can be draining and sometimes make you feel depressed.


9. Did you get the support you needed from your family, foraying into this seemingly uncharted territory? How did you hold yourself up. What/Who was your biggest support?

My family and friends have been very supportive. A lot of my friends witnessed me fail during the early days but stood by me. The list is too long but to name a few Aditya, Bhaskar, Mallika, Sanjana, Saloni, Pooja, Manish, Harmeet, Michael, Rohit and Varun.


10. What inspires you when the going gets tough?

I read a lot. When I can’t I listen to audio books, or watch inspirational videos, when it gets really tough, I take a break and focus on my day job. This gives me time to revive and get back to the fight again.


11. How do you rewind after a long, busy day.

For me, a good cup of coffee (I am a Mocha Frappuccino addict!), full blast Bollywood music and a long drive works. A long phone call with an old friend and writing poetry are therapeutic as well. Go to a beach and listen to the sound of waves. Otherwise go home, just shut the lights and sleep.


12. What is your ultimate aim in life. And, a philosophy you live by.

Following the path that others have carved out may be a more likely road to success, but there’s nothing innovative or exciting about it. Instead, flip the narrative of what it means to be successful and go for an unconventional approach. Then just work hard and give your best. Push yourself out of the comfort zone. Take risks and try new things because the bridge between life and death is too short and you never know when you have to cross it. All throughout this journey don’t forget to give back and make a difference, otherwise what’s the point? 


13. Outside of work, any other commitments.

My to-do list is too long! I host a lot of shows across Southern California, travel a lot (still need to cover a lot many places), have two film scripts yet to be brought into action, produce the rap song I wrote, continue to blog, have talks scheduled, events planned to work with Soroptimist for women empowerment and definitely my engineering job which I love. 


14. Will the audience get to see you perform live in India anytime soon? If Yes, when.

I don’t have any plans to come to India as of now but who knows, right?


15. A message for our readers.

“It is good to be important but it is more important to be good.” So don’t be an asshole. Give back to the society. Try new things, I go to www.Groupon.com or www.LivingSocial.com when I run out of ideas.

Take risks. Meet new people. Travel to places you have never ever been to. The world is your oyster.

Life can be difficult at time but it’s all about how you ride the waves. When life throws lemons at you, start thinking of making your next Bhelpuri. ;)



Makes your day bright, isn't it!
Till we meet again tomorrow with another star in making, Good Day everyone...!!!


~ Happy International Women's Day 2018 ~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Nice to know about her versatility. Few learnings as well! Great job! Eager to read future interviews.

    ReplyDelete