Thank You For VIsiting Me...!!!

With outstretched arms, I welcome you to the world of yet unsaid emotions...

Wish you a good time.! And thank you for visiting me...!!!

Tuesday 15 July 2014

My Tryst With WARLI...!!!

A couple of days back, I was upcycling some glass bottles into vases, late in the night and as I completed each one, I would share its image with my friend online. Just then, she mentioned WARLI and that got us into discussing some ideas about our next long-distance art project together.

Now, WARLI Art is a cultural intellectual property of a Marathi tribal community. The monosyllabic depictions in the paintings use the very basic graphic vocabulary of circles, triangles, squares and lines to express everyday life and activities, dance, music, hunting-gathering, farming, festivals, trees and animals, recreation and so on. Having spent some 3 years in Maharashtra, I have had my encounters with this art, and it never really engaged me. But somehow, this time, it did.

So the next day, I found myself combing through web-pages about WARLI and I decided to surprize my friend by making my renditions of some paintings I really liked. Since this was my first time with this endeavor, I needed some inspiration and guidance to create my own versions of the paintings.

But very honestly, once I started, it got me hooked. In a straight go, I made 3 paintings in 2 hours, and reveled in the liberation that "painting" as an activity always offers me. Here is what I made - in order of completion:

1. WARLI SUNSET:

P.S:   I love the "Oye! Its Friday!!" feel that I can visualize within each of these 6 folks.

2. WARLI PEACOCK:

3. WARLI RAAS:

 I am still learning this art and I have begun working on the new idea that was brewing up in our heads (My and My Friend's) a while ago.

I really hope the new idea takes shape the way we want it to, and when that happens, I shall post about that too.

Till then, if you are wondering what I do for the remaining part of the day, when I am not WARLI-ing, I allow you the pleasure of unadulterated guesswork...!!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Good Art-Work :) ..and last para is really funny :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Great creativity :)
    Love to read your articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot LB!! And keep visiting, there's a lot of interesting stuff coming soon.. :)

      Delete