Thank You For VIsiting Me...!!!

With outstretched arms, I welcome you to the world of yet unsaid emotions...

Wish you a good time.! And thank you for visiting me...!!!

Sunday 15 April 2018

My First Time As a #BloodDonor


#BloodDonors

#LifeDonors

#FirstTimeDonor


Scene 1:

A few years ago.

Mumbai.

As a member of my org’s CSR group, I got all notifications about which initiatives we were going to do next. So I knew there was a Blood Donation Camp organized in the weekend. I had never been a donor before, and neither had a friend of mine who then, wasn't too keen on being one either. Still, he agreed to tag along, incessantly teasing the skinny-me and insisting that he was accompanying me only to ensure that ready help was available if I passed out after donation.
So, all upbeat and gung-ho, we reached the venue.

As is the procedure, after signing all the forms and making our entries in the register, my index finger was pricked to check the hemoglobin. And instead of taking me to the room for donation, the doctor handed me out an A-4 paper printed on both sides, about what I should be eating and what I should be avoiding. Alas! I could not donate, as my Hb was below the required range.

I was heart-broken. And freaked out. But the doctor filled me in that there was nothing to worry about and that 6 out of 10 Indian women usually have low Hb. It just needed some diet and exercise adjustments to be on the other side, the better side.

My friend who was keenly observing all this and laughing his heart out teasing me, finally decided that he didn’t want to return empty-handed, so ended up donating blood himself, for the first time ever. I, at that time, felt almost guilty that he had to do it even when he wasn’t really interested; but he seemed to be enjoying every bit of the process. Once done, he had developed a very calm, almost saint-like aura around him. He was smiling and genuinely happy, so much so that he immediately called his mom and announced his big feat. I was, well, too confused, and sufficiently sad to say anything.

*****

Scene 2:

A few hours ago.

Hyderabad.

As a member of my org’s CSR group, I still get all notifications about which initiatives we are going to do next. So I knew there was a Blood Donation Camp organized over the next three days.

This time, with a bit more confidence about my Hb, I knew I wanted to do it.

So I reached the venue well on time.

As is the procedure, after signing all the forms and making our entries in the register, my index finger was pricked to check the hemoglobin. And instead of handing out an A-4 paper printed on both sides, about what I should be eating and what I should be avoiding, this time I was taken to the room for donation. Voila! My Hb was well within the range that permits one for donation.



My #FirstTimeDonor Certificate :)


After a while, I was there, I was doing it, I was a #FirstTimeDonor.

And as I lay there, I had this one bright thought flashing in my mind. I am usually a paranoid over-thinker and have often wondered that if I (heavens forbid) had to make a march towards heaven the next moment, I would probably be so restless there. There are so many things I want to do, so many books to read, so many painting to make, so many places to go, so many dishes to savor, so much work to do, so many lives to touch. How could I be at peace? I would be so restless, I would probably drive the angels bonkers, if such a thing was possible.

But in that one instant, I had that calm in my head and heart. I had a clarity that I might not have been as great as I thought I would be in so many things, but, if at all, I had to travel my last journey today, I would be at peace. And so would be the heavens above, for I would not drive them nuts! I had done a small bit of good, I had done a small bit for the society,  a small bit for the mankind. Suddenly I felt a sense of purpose that had just been accomplished, what if I was just getting started.

Thanks a bunch Team Mamata (The DC’s CSR Team) for taking such an initiative and providing this opportunity. If only my words could convey how much being a #FirstTimeDonor means to me, and how it has touched my life, just like that of thousands others.

Change happens in the now, revolutions happen in an instance. And as Mahatma Gandhi rightly said, if you want to see some change in this world, be it.

#BloodDonors #LifeDonors, may this tribe increase, may this clan prosper.
So happy to be one of you...!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment